Friday, May 6, 2016

3 Most Influential Lectures



My favorite lecture would be the discussion made in class about being broken and hot that affects a person's personality. The topic came up when talking about the if the characters in the short story “Hills like White Elephants,” By Ernest Hemingway would ever be able to be back to regular if they have the abortion. The lecture spoke and how they mad A reflection i got from this lecture is that being broken or having a traumatizing event in the past will shape who you become. When someone goes through a loss or faces a very traumatizing moment although they may become readjusted after some time they still will have to deal with this feeling. I believe it’s extremely difficult for someone to become whole again after they're broken, but everyone i believe is broken in some way or another and we try find something in life that helps us feel whole. Whatever that may be.


Another lecture that i will always try to keep with me is the lecture on silence and dehumanization which came up during the classes fishbowl on “The Yellow Wallpaper” by Charlotte Perkins GIlman . In this lecture Professor Brady talked about how silence is one of the worst forms of oppression along with isolation. I believe that when facing oppression for so long your body is conditioned to find the best way for you to cope with the situation, and that results in things like silence and self exclusion. Before starting school here at Farmingdale I wasn’t really allowed to go outside my home often and although i had family around that i was in constant isolation, and I didn’t try to socialize and ultimately became a very silent secluded person. So that lecture really related to me in that sense.

The third lecture that i truly enjoyed was the lecture on postmodernism and the postmodern outlook on life.I find the postmodern outlook on life interesting, how interpretation is everything and that reality is actually just the product of your own interpretations of events.When analyzing a post modern work like "Interpretor of Maladies" we saw Kapasi and Mrs. Das false affection for each other as a result of some trauma in their past. I took with me from this lecture that each person I see is the result of decisions and actions that i'll never know. I also took with me that in each person's experience in life is vastly different from the next, for two twins can be more different than two strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment